Btw, Without Religion...

Really, would people become more, less, or be equally moral corrupt? what say you?

Comments

• It depends.

If religion wasn't based on a deity then it could have something more like a constitution that can be updated. The idea is that, since you can update it, it can always be current. If you have 10,000 members and 1 of them has a better idea, even that one person, could, because they have a pathway, convince enough people that the constitution needs to be updated or amended.

I am personally in such a religion.
  • Really, would people become more, less, or be equally moral corrupt? what say you?

Several years ago, a male friend of mine is Agnostic, he told me years ago, if he ever decided to have children, he would want them to be reared in a Christian environment, he said if nothing more, they would learn to abide in some of the 'Moral' commandments, eventually learning the , "Ten Commandments" as best they can, it would generally set them on the right track to being a Morally decent person. He said all children should start out with a 'morally sound structured' foundation___like the commandment to children___ "Children obey your parents (in the lord), so that your life may be long___"Fathers do not provoke your child to wrath", those type of moral laws are healthy..
  • So, basically, he, being agnostic, resonated with those moral laws (which were already law in Egypt as "civil" laws). Was he incapable of teachings these things to his children? Of course not. Who here has a problem teaching their children not to steal? Not to commit murder? Not to lie on people? Not to take someone else's wife? etc. These are all pretty much standard social contract in any society.

And honestly... I feel like it's a little insulting. Do you have any idea how long Africans were around before Christianity came into existed? Tens of thousands of years. Christians want to make it sound like we were savages but many populations around the planet who weren't Christians were isolated and peaceful. They didn't need Christianity.
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Oh, I suspect all things would have changed had he actually had children, last time I talked to him 10yrs ago, he was still without children. The point he was making was ___ he was agnostic, however, he would not embrace the idea of teaching his children to be agnostic same as himself___ he pefer that they learn the about Jesus the Christ as their foundation to start out their life, once his children reached ___ (the age of accountability) they could then make the choice to be a christian or not.

The world had been in existence for many many years before God decided to become flesh in the form of Jesus Christ, people of all races were roaming the earth without the foundation of Christianity. Christianity was born out of the teachings of Jesus Christ.
  • @basicreasoning
    What sense does it making teaching your child something that you don't even believe and then letting them figure out whether or not the belief is wrong or misguided? Children are very impressionable. The authority and credibility of the parent backs up whatever they teach their child.

Parent's often think their children are free to make choices but children only choose between the choices offered. Evaluating the choices also means evaluating the person offering the choice.

My children weren't raised in any religion so I know from experience it doesn't make a real difference to their behavior. Religion often backfires, I think. Because its built on the premise that you have no choices because the consequences are so severe. So you're asking the person to be terrorized and too afraid to think on their own. But what if they lose that fear? What if you can no longer terrorize them with hellish consequences? They will rebel.

It's better to be honest. Being honest is what teaches your children honesty; not a law. Being kind teaches your children kindness. You can't demand these things. People have to choose to become them. You cannot command love. Love must be genuine and true. Without that you are only a lawyer, trying to generate brownie points by not breaking rules. But not breaking rules is utterly meaningless without love. Surely, you as a Christian, understand this. It is what Yeshua taught.
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He would have the right to rear his children the way he wanted to, his thought was he wasn't certain whether there's a GOD or Not, so he'd refrain from instilling that same thought process on his children, so he'd much rather they start out with a foundation other than DOUBT. It's his choice should he ever have children.

Btw, it does sound like your children were taught to abide by your ___Rules. You've made yourself their god. Certainly your children were NOT free to do as they pleased, I can't imagine that they didn't have some guidelines to follow___Guidelines (ie) rules/choices. You're not making sense. The fact of the matter, your children are following your rules__Just like most children follow the nurturing of a responsible parent.
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He would have the right to rear his children the way he wanted to, his thought was he wasn't certain whether there's a GOD or Not, so he'd refrain from instilling that same thought process on his children, so he'd much rather they start out with a foundation other than DOUBT. It's his choice should he ever have children.

Btw, it does sound like your children were taught to abide by your ___Rules. You've made yourself their god. Certainly your children were NOT free to do as they pleased, I can't imagine that they didn't have some guidelines to follow___Guidelines (ie) rules/choices. You're not making sense. The fact of the matter, your children are following your rules__Just like most children follow the nurturing of a responsible parent.

Adding on to the above

It's GOD's Kingdom, GOD's Rule/Laws, he's not forcing you to comply, he just doesn't acknowledge you if you choose to ignore him. That sounds pretty FAIR to me.