Who Won the First Biden/Trump Debate

I don't think either of them won.

Biden is not a great debater. Let's be honest. Kamala punched him in the primaries hard and it hurt him. If it wasn't for the DNC asking people to pull out and throw their support his way, Bernie would have won the nomination.

Trump was rude. Trump was a bully. Trump was lying. All this is true. However, winning a debate is about perception. When you allow someone to be rude like that, when you allow someone to bully you, and lie without being checked on it, it makes you look weak. Biden needed to punch back more. Instead he stuttered and got flustered. You're going to see none of that from Kamala vs Mike Pence.

Biden tried to laugh off some of this but it didn't work for me. It looked like Trump was scoring hits on him; especially when he asked Biden to name one law enforcement group that was supporting him. Not being able to name one hurt.

The other thing Trump was doing was trying to cut off Biden from the progressive side of the party. He wanted to alienate his voters and make him seem too left for Republicans and Independents but also too far right to support what more left leaning democrats want him to do. That strategy I don't think will work because more left leaning people will never see Trump as a better choice in this election. But the point was to decrease Biden's excitement and turnout.

I felt Biden missed a ton of attack opportunities. There have been so many things Trump has done that you should make him answer for on a debate stage. Kids in cages, tax cuts for the rich, racist supporters, Biden really failed to him on his record, trying to make it mostly about his covid response and current state of the economy. But his side isn't going to blame the economy on Trump. And the more they buy into covid as a hoax then it makes it look like democrats are the only ones trying to damage the economy by keeping businesses closed.

When Biden got close to landing a solid upper cut with the China trade war Trump immediately pivoted to talking about his son and it worked to break Biden's momentum and he got distracted and got put back on defense. And defending his long history in government did not go over that great.

Where Biden did get Trump was on Putin puppy thing but it really should have been hit harder with Trump's finances. I mean that was set up as an October Surprise and I didn't feel like Biden used that at all and kind of let Chris Wallace debate Trump at times. Chris Wallace did way more punching than Biden did.

So all in all, disappointed with Biden's performance. I think they both lost but I think Trump was more effective with his base and Biden was with what he needed to accomplish with his. Biden needed to bring some facts into the republican bubble and he failed to really hit any home runs. Hopefully, the next debate is better since Biden is clearly the better (sane) choice.

Comments

• I think that Biden won this race, Trump tried to drag him down, but as my wise mother always told me "never argue with a fool, he will drag you down to his level and beat you up with his experience". Trump came off as a gutter rat, a brawler, a man with no integrity, self-control or intelligence. I cannot wait for the next one. Biden was a gentleman all the way.

• I fel that Biden was the bettr man that night, etc. Trump looked and acted like a fool, etc. The boy lies errr time his mouth opens, etc. I am going to make this prediction, Nov 3rd 2020, Trump loses! Who in their right mind wants to endure $ more years of Trump & Bar's BS? I cerainly know that I don't! Trump could even distance himself from his standing in the shadows white nationalist racist group the Trump Proud Boys, etc. He ordered them to stand down but by! Sounds like he's threatening this nation! He will lost and will face Justice within th State of New York! Most likely for "Tax Criminal Crimes", etc. I'm done!
  • I agree with both of you. Did Trump try to drag Biden down into a brawl? Yes. However, I've seen and been in a ton of debates and I guarantee all that was intentional. If you stop to think of ALL the things you have seen and heard over the last 4 years... Trump is the incumbant. Think of the Bob Woodward interviews. There was so much to hit Trump with but essentially Biden fell victim to a popular tactic that is used in congress.

The filabuster.

Biden is a better man in general. Trump hardly qualifies as a man. He's a little rich boy who squandered his daddy's money. However, that being said... everyone seems to be getting upset that Trump wasn't following the rules and talking over Biden. But if you're trying to be the president of the United States... I'm sorry, but you have to be able to handle people. Not everyone in the world is going to be a gentleman. Trump's supporters like his performance because they tune in, wanting to see a beat down, and Trump uses that to appear strong. Trump understands that its a show. He treats his whole presidency as if its a reality show. So why would a debate be any different?

Biden has to do better next time. Winning in November is not an absolute certainty. We cannot take forgranted that many Americans are racist, many Americans are uneducated and uninformed in regards to politics. So they are more likely to think he's doing a good job if he merely repeats many times that he's doing a good job. Trump knows how to play the role of cult leader. Not fully condemning the Proud Boys isn't a bad thing, for him. He got Biden to distance himself from Progressives on key issues but Biden didn't get Trump to distance himself from Republicans on anything that I can recall.

Biden was getting rescued by Chris. While Chris Wallace was the moderator so it was his job to moderate, it doesn't look great if Biden had to be rescued, had to hide behind Chris, or couldn't shut Trump down himself. That was his opportunity to be clever associate Trump's whole aggressive style to ripping the country apart. Instead, he looked flustered like he didn't quite know what to say. And that's not good.

It wasn't a good look for either of them but the fact that there were so many things that could have been said against Trump that wasn't? It just left me feeling like I just watched Biden get bullied by a 4th grader.
  • Straight up, I think Biden was more civil and seem presidential in this debate. Trump's thing is a frontal personal assault. With insults and all the trimmings, etc. that BS don't fly all the time, etc. Biden pegged Trump right, by calling him a "clown", etc. And by saying "Shut up Man!" We don't need four more of Trump and his Proud Boys, etc. Best they listen at Trump and stand down, etc. Btw.... WTF, they standing by for? LMBO.. Ova hea, etc. Whut, da nation supposed da fear these neo nazi proud boys? I think not!!! Later...
  • Straight up, I think Biden was more civil and seem presidential in this debate. Trump's thing is a frontal personal assault. With insults and all the trimmings, etc. that BS don't fly all the time, etc. Biden pegged Trump right, by calling him a "clown", etc. And by saying "Shut up Man!" We don't need four more of Trump and his Proud Boys, etc. Best they listen at Trump and stand down, etc. Btw.... WTF, they standing by for? LMBO.. Ova hea, etc. Whut, da nation supposed da fear these neo nazi proud boys? I think not!!! Later...

I think Biden won that debate.
  • I didn't watch the debate, I can't stomach anything Trump says.....and Biden is NOT the Fighter I desperately need to stand-up to that idiot Trump, One doesn't have to be belligerent to be a Fighter, just stand your ground and stand firm against Trump...However, my vote will go to Biden/Harris, simply because I have No Other choice.
  • Yes... basicreasoning is right. Biden is not that fighter. He's not that tough. I wasn't looking for him to hurl insults back at Trump. I wanted him to do a better job standing his ground and hitting trump where it actually hurts. Mudslinging will not work on Trump. You have to hit his record. Trump slings mud as a distraction. There were so many things Biden could have said and didn't.

But... as I knew she would... Kamala came through.

Kamala brought up as many of the points I wish Biden would have brought up when the subjects came up. Now... they probably did coordinate that and used her more so as a prosecutor to be the one to go after Trump and just have Biden play defense and try to act above it all and focus on what he would do as president. I get that. I do. But you still have to show strength and backbone. You can't make it look like mommy has to fight your battles for you.

Pence was extremely rude with all his interruptions and trying to dominate the conversation on time, but she handled it with expertise and precision. "I'm speaking". I loved it. Why? Because you have to demand respect. She demands respect. And if you don't give it? I promise she will punish you for it. Kamala is my favorite debater in Congress. Her skills are brilliant.
  • Zealotx
    I hope the Biden group don't overuse Kamala as it relate to her being the bully pulpit for the team, the republicans would relish the idea of painting Kamala as an ANGRY BLACK WOMAN,,, they would also infer that Kamala will be the backbone of the Biden administration - implying Biden will only be a lame duck while Kamala will actually be the one running the country.
    Remember many people thought Cheney ran the white house and not George Bush. That worked for the Bush/Cheney administration simple because they were TWO WHITE MEN (totally acceptable) by way of american standard....................BUT, america is not ready for a woman to run this country and DEFINITELY NOT a Black woman.

So while I'm glad Kamala is tough as nails..........she has to watch her step, knowing that she is walking a narrow line/tight rope.
  • edited October 15
    Zealotx
    I hope the Biden group don't overuse Kamala as it relates to her being the bully pulpit for the team, the republicans would relish the idea of painting Kamala as an ANGRY BLACK WOMAN,,, they would also infer that Kamala will be the backbone of the Biden administration - implying Biden will only be a lame-duck while Kamala will actually be the one running the country.
    Remember many people thought Cheney ran the white house and not George Bush. That worked for the Bush/Cheney administration simply because they were TWO WHITE MEN (totally acceptable) by way of American standard....................BUT, America is not ready for a woman to run this country and DEFINITELY NOT a Black woman.

So while I'm glad Kamala is tough as nails..........she has to watch her step, knowing that she is walking a narrow line/tight rope.
    Republicans are racist pigs, they paint every outspoken black woman as an Angry Black Woman. They are a group of misogynistic, rascist, theocratic bullies.
  • Nandi wrote: »
    Zealotx
    I hope the Biden group don't overuse Kamala as it relates to her being the bully pulpit for the team, the republicans would relish the idea of painting Kamala as an ANGRY BLACK WOMAN,,, they would also infer that Kamala will be the backbone of the Biden administration - implying Biden will only be a lame-duck while Kamala will actually be the one running the country.
    Remember many people thought Cheney ran the white house and not George Bush. That worked for the Bush/Cheney administration simply because they were TWO WHITE MEN (totally acceptable) by way of American standard....................BUT, America is not ready for a woman to run this country and DEFINITELY NOT a Black woman.

Republicans are racist pigs, they paint every outspoken black woman as an Angry Black Woman. They are a group of misogynistic, rascist, theocratic bullies.
    Indeed the republicans are ALL of what you just described!!