Juke Joints... "BYOB" baby...

edited November 2020 in General
What da ya'll know about what we called back in da day, Juke Joints? Where all through da week the jukebox was jaming, etc. and especially on friday nite there was lots of drinking "BYOB" usually and maybe a DJ or a live local blues band, etc. Btw, we used to say that "BYOB" meant "Bring yo own Baby," originally it meant, "Bring Yo Own Bottle." Hell cars be lined up on both sides of da street, many of you down home southern folks have experienced des places, and many of you when you visit back home, they may still have dat one "Hole-N-Da Wall". Remember them pool and dart tourrnaments. Joint be crowded, some charge a fee, da get in , etc. Place be damn near smoke filled [hell u might get a scent of weed, etc.] and most err body know err body too. Joint be rockin' till the wee hours of da morning... Last time Gfb was in a Juke Joint, the band was playin' ZZ Hill's "Down Home Blues" hell most of the "Hole n da Walls" are gone from my neck of the woods, But those were good days.... "The party was jumping and everybody was having a good time..." that's behind them Down Home Blues". QQ... Gfb gone...

Comments

• Ever make to Helen's Jook Joint in Sealy? I only added her name for reference because it had no name.
    Across the railroad tracks off the Main St. drag, and it here wasn't but one road that lead up at the end w/another no'namer, but it was the starting-point of the Texas Black Trail Riders Assn's annual shindig to Houston. Oh, couldn't be missed in the joint...a big ass pic of Eric Dickerson...her nephew.
  • edited November 2020
    Naww... didn't quite travel dat far to Sealy, even tho I know where it's at, etc. I used to visit a few Juke Joints in Texas city, Lamarque area even in Acreas Homes, Sunny Side, etc. Joints with names like "Mud Shack" "Hole n the Wall", Tri-City, & "Honey Hush" even been in a joint called the "Do Drop Inn" all were full of smoke, smelled like alcohol, musty funk from all them big women sweating and dancing. LMBO... but a MF had some fun tho. Speaking of Trail Rides, went to a place in "Dime Box, TX", had dat Juke Joint out in da woods. Some of these joints are still open, most are located within neighborhoods, etc. Where during the week locals just hang out shooting pool, playin' darts, dominos, etc. On the weekends they be kickin', etc. Most folks hang around Juke Joints are known by each other and or live in dat hood, etc. rollin' now to a hole n da wall.... later....
  • There is or was one on Scott St a few ticks ticks from Frenchy's going towards OST. But now? No clue. I haven't been to Third Ward since a memorial service back in 2016/17 for the best male friend I ever had.
  • Man, I love hanging out at a juke joint down in da hood! Damn near all town's got one! Most are called "Hole n da Walls" Gfb movin on...