SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Can You Be of Another Race But Culturally Black?  (Read 665 times)

Stygian

Re: Can You Be of Another Race But Culturally Black?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 11:48:36 PM »
YES.  Just as long as Ur NOT a Culture Vulture.

Well, you do know them Koreans done made black gospel music their own don't you. Years ago a poster by the name WJS hipped us to the "Seoul" brothers of South Korea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ErLjhvVOQ

But then these people are as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJZsfIxUGFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtX91YGaBXw

If it's good, it's Art if it sucks it's Vulture-ism.

mstryn2

Can You Be of Another Race But Culturally Black?
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 11:54:29 PM »
I ran across this today, I won't say much because I want you to listen to her...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs6EXJe5Auc

To answer your question in a word  'Yes'  you can be a non-black but act culturally black,   but,   only if a good portion of your life has been intertwined with black people....and even moreso if you find the black culture pleasingly pleasant for the most part.    Most other races of people find black people to be cool and sociably fun to be around.

Same such happenstance occurs with black people  that are raised up around primarily white people,  they will often adapt to the white culture in their thinking and acting,   in otherwords,  you'll act more white than black.

Nothing New here

I think that's less likely if you have a strong family bond and don't reject being Black.

I'm going to post something to Biggs that might shed some light on this.

If you gravitate to another culture outside of yours,  it will likely have nothing at all to do with your family,   you choose  to adapt and/or embrace  a different culture other than your own.

Just my opinion

There will be people that hate being Black and it stems from IMO weak family culture.

The guy I talk about in the post to Biggs, I don't know his back story but it was obvious to me he hated being Black but was too dark for the White kids to like so he ran around in Led Zeppelin shirts and didn't talk to the Black kids... He never fit in. I don't know if he was adopted by White people but he probably was.

I love Asian food, Played Classical Music as a kid, grew up next to a Jewish kid went to all their Holidays but I was raised by a Black Southern Family and even though I grew up in the North... I will always have that Black Southern Culture... Like your man Mr.Kim said, it doesn't matter if I'm in France or Chicago, I'm always going to have that culture.

My best Friend is Filipino, besides the food they eat mostly just lumpia, I'm not trying to be Filipino or act Filipino... Where you are in those crucial years 2 to 8 is eternal, I've seen studies that kids are pretty much who they will be personality wise by the time they are 6 or 8.

Learning other cultures will only help your knowledge of the world.

Learning about or running with people of another culture won't make you un-Black and if it does, your Black culture was weak to begin with...

That's my opinion, you don't have to share it but you're missing out on them lumpia.

I get your point,  however,   have you ever met a black person that easily become embarrassed by what other black people do whether it's negative,   buffoonery or other?    Those are the black people that would rather be any other race other THAN Black.   I suspect that's what the guy you described has had to deal with for the entirety of his life.   He just rather be a part of the power-play in life and he doesn't see black people in the position of power.

He may not hate his black skin,,,but,  he hates what it doesn't represent for him;  which is unearned power (privilege).

He may go on to marry a white woman hoping it will gain him acceptance in the white world.

Stygian

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 12:13:16 AM »
^^^

have you ever met a black person that easily become embarrassed by what other black people do whether it's negative,   buffoonery or other?

Yeah, me... Like my Dad said to me many a time, "Don't walk out this house acting a fool with my Last Name,"

You weren't embarrassed by Kanye a few weeks back?

The smartest fool is still a fool... We need to be lifting the race up always.

Now if you can't eat fried chicken in front of White people that's another story, I hope that's what you mean?

It's not about Whiteness or Privilege, to me it's about raising up strong Black men that respect themselves and others.

Greg

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »
guess who has the rep of the cheapest black producer/director to have to deal with...and it ain't Antoine Fuqua...

Tyler Perry and his cheap ass?

Naah.  Comparatively, TP does the right thing.  It's scuttlebutt.  How that's figured I have no clue because certain pay rules are rigidly enforced by craft and performances unions aka, "scale".  "Craft Services", like the roach coaches and rat wagons, accommodations, etc., not so.

Greg

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
Not a gospel fan myself, but they sound damned good.  Thumbs up.  Imitation as they say is the sincerest form of flattery.  I don't see this as being a culture vulture, I look at it as them showing a whole lot of respect for gospel music.  Enough to make sure they got it right.

Boom.  Had they tried to rap I'd have leaned more to the side of the OP because of a kinda exclusivity, but being that gospel warbling is just another riff of standard church/religious musical fare, it's open-season and wouldn't be unlike say, The Temptations singing Amazing Grace in their soul inspired five-part harmony had they given it a shot.  I'm like...

...Hell.  In music it's all pretty much up for grabs as there's only so many musical notes and scales, but the good news is, there appears to be an infinite way to arrange them.  Performances... a significantly slightly different story.

Biggs4life

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 09:33:04 AM »
Not a gospel fan myself, but they sound damned good.  Thumbs up.  Imitation as they say is the sincerest form of flattery.  I don't see this as being a culture vulture, I look at it as them showing a whole lot of respect for gospel music.  Enough to make sure they got it right.

Boom.  Had they tried to rap I'd have leaned more to the side of the OP because of a kinda exclusivity, but being that gospel warbling is just another riff of standard church/religious musical fare, it's open-season and wouldn't be unlike say, The Temptations singing Amazing Grace in their soul inspired five-part harmony had they given it a shot.  I'm like...

...Hell.  In music it's all pretty much up for grabs as there's only so many musical notes and scales, but the good news is, there appears to be an infinite way to arrange them.  Performances... a significantly slightly different story.

Another thing to factor in is that some musicians who otherwise would no longer be relevant (read unemployed in their art) are sustained precisely because other cultures pick up on and appreciate (and seek to imitate) their music.  I remember something I saw not long ago about how many I think black jazz artists are big in Europe (may have specifically been Switzerland I cant remember) and to address the whole rap thing you mentioned, I've heard the Rap scene in Japan is huge. 

MrKim

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »

How Sad!!!

American Negros have Worldwide influence! Aren't you proud?

How about some international Hip-Hop India style? Everybody on the dance floor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTHz9ephYTw&list=PLAsmNn8zJ_Rwqr6hqd-0TixgXJcv4X2sL

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:26:09 AM by MrKim »
! Ain't No Half Steppin' !

Greg

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
You also won't hear of people with songwriting and publishing-rights bitchin' about anything either.

There is NO TELLING just how much $$$$$$ from both flies into Stevie Wonder's coffers on a yearly-basis...and Smokey Robinson and Berry Gordie won't be heard hollerin' foul either, and many many others.  JB, too...and that ain't JP's twin-brother either.  LMAO

MrKim

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 11:40:00 AM »

There will be people that hate being Black and it stems from IMO weak family culture.

The guy I talk about in the post to Biggs, I don't know his back story but it was obvious to me he hated being Black but was too dark for the White kids to like so he ran around in Led Zeppelin shirts and didn't talk to the Black kids... He never fit in. I don't know if he was adopted by White people but he probably was.

I love Asian food, Played Classical Music as a kid, grew up next to a Jewish kid went to all their Holidays but I was raised by a Black Southern Family and even though I grew up in the North... I will always have that Black Southern Culture... Like your man Mr.Kim said, it doesn't matter if I'm in France or Chicago, I'm always going to have that culture.

My best Friend is Filipino, besides the food they eat mostly just lumpia, I'm not trying to be Filipino or act Filipino... Where you are in those crucial years 2 to 8 is eternal, I've seen studies that kids are pretty much who they will be personality wise by the time they are 6 or 8.

Learning other cultures will only help your knowledge of the world.

Learning about or running with people of another culture won't make you un-Black and if it does, your Black culture was weak to begin with...

That's my opinion, you don't have to share it but you're missing out on them lumpia.

So true my brother, so true. On BlackVoices and BlackVisions over the years I've most enjoyed the conversations people have about their family roots, their blackness, such as Greg would talk about his family and that damn Coconut milk in every dish, the good and the bad of it in big ass ladels. That is blackness. Or the greatest compliment I ever received from a poster, it was simple. He said I was authentic. That it was obvious that I was southern, black and true to myself. I felt honored by that.

I often tell people, and still do, those who worry about their kids when they see them emulating whiteness as though it is something to aspire to be, something better, more honorable. I tell them that they will (most will) grow out of it. As they get older and reality hits them across the head those childish ideas will vanish.

Even Beyoncé went from the swirl belief (she had a thing for saying one day we will all be mixed and it won't matter,), she wanted white acceptance and got it. Some 10 years later she was sing lemonade and doing "formation" (black strength songs and comedians joked "Bey is Black?") "My Daddy Alabama, My Mama Louisiana when you mix that negro with a creole you get a Texas bama". Where'd that come from? She had come full circle back to her roots.

If it's in you it's in you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:45:54 AM by MrKim »

MrKim

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »

I get your point,  however,   have you ever met a black person that easily become embarrassed by what other black people do whether it's negative,   buffoonery or other?    Those are the black people that would rather be any other race other THAN Black.   I suspect that's what the guy you described has had to deal with for the entirety of his life.   He just rather be a part of the power-play in life and he doesn't see black people in the position of power.

He may not hate his black skin,,,but,  he hates what it doesn't represent for him;  which is unearned power (privilege).

He may go on to marry a white woman hoping it will gain him acceptance in the white world.

Those people who go out of their way to be accepted by white folks? Please make me a token! I so sorry massa I promise I do better. The one's that brag, "yeah, this is straight from the big house". Whoopity damn do! And I'm not even talking about cooning negros, the less educated, they are more forgivable in my opinion. They have been hoodwinked. I'm talking bought blacks who should know better, those with the capability and means who act so scared that other blacks are going to ruin their good thing. They are on a higher plane, thanks to the white man and his better ways.

I was raised in Church (COGIC) and I was taught shame, "shame on you", as I got older I learned that unhealthy shame is a really bad thing. It is that thing that makes some black folk wish they were white. If I only I were white I wouldn't be seen as a dumb and ugly and lowly animal. That kinda shame is dangerous. So I tell folk to tame that shame, it can become unhealthy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:01:42 PM by MrKim »

MrKim

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »

But then these people are as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJZsfIxUGFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtX91YGaBXw

If it's good, it's Art if it sucks it's Vulture-ism.

Those videos are of modernly embossed artistic re-enchantments of ancient opera and theatre concentrations of emotions, such as originated in old European, Middle Eastern, Northern African, and Asian societies and as such are no longer bound by cultural claim. The originators are centuries and centuries dead. They are simply known in modern times as classics. Even Mozart's originals were formed and influenced by these standards which originated in biblical days.

Oh, thy hark back, I do, to the early times of the harp! Long before the Earth was known to be round.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:26:18 PM by MrKim »

mstryn2

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »

Those people who go out of their way to be accepted by white folks? Please make me a token! I so sorry massa I promise I do better. The one's that brag, "yeah, this is straight from the big house". Whoopity damn do! And I'm not even talking about cooning negros, the less educated, they are more forgivable in my opinion. They have been hoodwinked. I'm talking bought blacks who should know better, those with the capability and means who act so scared that other blacks are going to ruin their good thing. They are on a higher plane, thanks to the white man and his better ways.

I was raised in Church (COGIC) and I was taught shame, "shame on you", as I got older I learned that unhealthy shame is a really bad thing. It is that thing that makes some black folk wish they were white. If I only I were white I wouldn't be seen as a dumb and ugly and lowly animal. That kinda shame is dangerous. So I tell folk to tame that shame, it can become unhealthy.

My point exactly!

mstryn2

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »

How Sad!!!

American Negros have Worldwide influence! Aren't you proud?

How about some international Hip-Hop India style? Everybody on the dance floor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTHz9ephYTw&list=PLAsmNn8zJ_Rwqr6hqd-0TixgXJcv4X2sL

The Sad comment is based on the fact that most other cultures do sample (steal) from black culture,,,,the sad irony is they never give credit to black people.

One of the primary reasons why I don't watch shows like   "the voice"  and other singing shows,,,,because,   most of the white people come on those shows and sing/mimic black artist songs.    I rarely see white folks mimicking other white artist.

Bconscience

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 11:15:14 PM »
YES.  Just as long as Ur NOT a Culture Vulture.

Well, you do know them Koreans done made black gospel music their own don't you. Years ago a poster by the name WJS hipped us to the "Seoul" brothers of South Korea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ErLjhvVOQ
Did not know that.  But given K and J POP...  As long as they ain't claiming as own, with no props to the originators.  Like CaUCS...  Then WE can take something of theirs and do the same.

At this point in time ignorance is a choice.  The ONLY SOLUTIONS is

REVELATIONS 18:4

Greg

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2018, 12:21:32 AM »
What's the BFD?  ALL artists ripoff other artists.  Nobody holds a patent on music/musical styles/whatever.  Get real...or read and bone up.  Anybody holla and get mad at Michael Jackson for ripping off the moon walk?  If ripped off is ripped off period, then his estate owes either Bill Bailey's or Bill Robinson's some hella chedda.   He even had'ta pay Manu Dibango around Christ knows how much $$$$$$$ for stealing his riff on Soul Makossa that appeared on the LARGEST SELLING ALBUM OF ALL-TIME...so far.  You know...."Mamacoomamacoosow...mamacoomamacoosow".  Bet'cha Manu was happy as Hell.  Good fuckin' grief.

Just listen to the first few bars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0CeFX6E2yI

If anyone buys that, you have a problem to solve.  Ripping off other blacks is OK.  But war's declared because Koreans do it...and not in lyric terms...but musical genre/style.  Not a fuckin' soul owns the exclusive rights on styles.  Give me a muthafuckin' break.